January 27, 2011

Thursday's Tutorial from Jen !!

Today Jen Cuthbertson has a great tutorial for you to use that's an easy way to create something special using supplies you probably already have - adorable cupcake toppers!
I start by picking out a stamp set that will coordinate well with my circle punches. In this case, I chose to make toppers for some Valentine cupcakes so picked a Valentine/love-themed stamp set. I decided to make my colors a couple different shades of rose.

I stamp all of my images first saving the punching and cutting for later.

I punch after I stamp because I think it is easier to center the stamp with the punch than try to center a stamp on an already punched shape. Don't forget to punch a coordinating circle to use as the back of the topper.
Once all my stamping and punching was finished, I added some Stickles for a bit of shimmer.
Center a foam square on the punch that is the backside of the topper and attach a wooden toothpick to the foam. I like to use heavy-duty, round toothpicks for toppers. Attach the front shape to the foam.
Finish the toppers with a bit of ribbon and you're all set to "pretty up" some home-made cupcakes! Though I made these for Valentine's Day, I'm sure you all have stamps you can use for any occasion - think birthdays, anniversaries, and showers! Fun and simple!

Come back tomorrow for our Exec Reveal ! Don't forget to link up for your last chance at this month's prize !

6 comments:

Christy said...

What a cute idea! I really like this. Thank you :)

Smiles!
Christy

Unknown said...

This is a darling idea Jen, and a tutorial! Thanks for sharing with us at Papercraft Star!

goatesgirl said...

these are fun, but I'd like to share a tip that works for me...I use the 3D glue dots instead of foam squares so I can push the toothpick into them before attaching the backside...sometimes I warm the glue dot a bit with my heat gun to make it easier to get the pick in

Angi Barrs said...

Adorable project Jen. I will have to try these. They would be great for a party. :)

Tracy said...

Great tutorial Jen! Perfect little extras for yummy cupcakes.

Kim Duran said...

Jen, these look so easy to make. Since it's my son's birthday on Monday, I may have to try this out on some of his cupcakes. I have the perfect stamps in mind too. Thanks for the tutorial and the great idea!